Friday, October 4, 2013

The Pack of Furies


“She can’t be dead,” he said, and he sprang up, quivering from head to toe.

The most awful thoughts flashed through his mind in a jumble.  There are times when the most hideous suppositions besiege us like a pack of furies, violently storming the compartments of our brains.  When it comes to those we love, we come with all kinds of mad things in our concern.” 

                          -- Victor Hugo, Les Miserables, Julie Rose translation


My son has taken on a very deep affection for our dog, Fox, and it manifests in fearing for the small creature’s life.  Riding in the backseat of the car, the dog placed its paw on the automatic window button. 

“Mom, lock the windows,” the boy said.  “Fox might press the button accidently.”

A visitor came to the house and the dog slipped out the front door about two feet.

“STAY, FOX!  STAY!”  the boy screamed in terror, fearing the dog further slipping out of sight.

Walking tonight after dinner, Fox stopped to shake while crossing the street.  The boy’s father let the dog lollygag.

“You need to pull him,” the boy reprimanded his father. “You can’t let him shake in the middle of the street…”  He couldn’t articulate the rest of the thought, “because he could get hit by a car.”  Walking to the bus stop in the morning, the boy carries Fox across the street.

“He’s fine.  I am in control,” his dad replied.  This brought little comfort to my son.

“Why is it grown-ups can be strict and I can’t?” he said.  “Why do I have to wait to be 18 to be strict and tell people what to do?” 

I can’t imagine the boy becoming a father if he loves a dog this much.  The bigger the heart, the bigger the break.

This afternoon I had my own near miss when Fox ate a random berry fallen from a tree.  He started trembling, and I called the vet.  

“You should be concerned if he is lethargic, anxious or trembling,” the office assistant said.

“He is trembling,” I replied.

“Oh,” she said, and thought for a few seconds.  “Feed him.  See if that helps.”  I fed the dog, and he stopped shaking and otherwise seemed fine.  Nevertheless, he sat on my lap for the rest of the afternoon so I would know every time he quivered.  I imagined Fox living another twelve years, the thought forcing the furies to stay at bay.

No comments: