Thursday, July 2, 2015

Staring Contest

I was walking Fox the other morning and he saw a squirrel.  He tried to chase the squirrel, so I put him on a tight leash.  The squirrel ran by a tree and stared at Fox.

Fox stared back.

I stood there, slackened the leash, and wondered how long Fox would watch the squirrel.

They were locked in a staring contest for about two minutes.  Neither blinked or moved.  A jogger ran nearby, and Fox looked away.  The squirrel kept staring.  Finally, Fox and I left.

This got me wondering about the staring contests kids have, where they look at each other until someone blinks.  Why do we play such a game?  It is part of an animal instinct?

As I watched the game, I realized it wasn't a game.  It was a case of predator and prey, and who ever blinked first would lose.  If the predator turned a away, the prey could escape.  If the prey loses it, then he's dinner.

No comments: