Saturday, December 28, 2019

2019: Yoda gift from Ellen

Thank god 2019 is almost over. This has been possibly the worst year of my life. Okay, the worst year of the decade. I had a miserable year in each of the 1990's and 2000's. I am so looking forward to putting this motherfucker to bed and starting over.

Instead of complaining about how bad this year was, I am going to write about some good stuff.

This year, my friend Ellen watched Fox several times while I was out of town visiting the Boy during his treatment. Ellen preceded me with a kid in treatment and invited me to join her at an Al-Anon meeting. She has also listened to me bitch incessantly about my personal life.

Previously when she has watched Fox, I have thanked her by taking her out to dinner and then a show. Once, we went out for sushi and afterwards I introduced to her Ali Wong, star of the Netflix comedy special, Baby Cobra, which is genius.

For my birthday, Ellen got me a gift certificate to Lush. She was cleaning her house, and gave me a $100 gift card to Magus Books, which seems like the place Harry Potter would buy his books if he went to UW. There, I bought a used copy of Audubon's Birds of America, which contains hundreds of drawings of birds and weighs about fifteen pounds. It is awesome. I got her teacups for her birthday and Mother's Day.

In short, Ellen is a rock star and I am kind of lame.

When I came back to my condo after visiting the Boy, she had left a Christmas present for me which is crazy because she was watching my dog and I should be getting her a gift. At first, I thought it might have been a great self-help book, maybe one that we had previously discussed. She invited me to see Eckhart Tolle, so I thought maybe she got me The Power of Now.

Nope. Ellen is Yoda and she got me exactly what I needed.



I needed something that would make me laugh. I opened the gift at 8:00 last night, and I was two-thirds of the way done by 7:00 a.m. I had to stop so I could save some for later.

No comments: