Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Starting the Quilt

Here is the start of the quilt.  I made the first cut last week.  Ta-da!  I am planning to use this old flannel sheet as the backing.  I'll use the material from the blue stripe on the top.


Here are some other old sheets I plan to use as the backing.  The batting is on the right.


The rest of the materials.  I'd like to show a soft-focus photo of a neat pile of clothes arranged by color and tone, but I am not that organized.  Instead, I have them all piled up in a plastic bin.


My daughter and I have been ripping the seams apart of her old clothes.  There is something mediative about performing a repetitive task.  We sit on the couch, sharing a seam ripper and a pair of scissors, collecting the thread in a bowl.  I feel very old school, until she asked is she can watch an episode of "Battle for Dream Island" (aka "BFDI"), a youtube cartoon show, on the iPad, and the kinship with Amish women fades away.

No comments: