Thursday, January 28, 2016

"Not Meeting Goals," or Milestone Based Progress

I was down in the physical therapy torture chamber again today, buried in the basement of one of the largest structures in Seattle.  They have to hide it away where there aren't any windows or sunshine for some I-don't know-why reason. Maybe they don't want people to see the torture--I mean healing-- that is going on here.

Today, I was explaining to my daughter a painful technique they used to stretch my legs. "He had me sit on the table with my butt on the edge and then grabbed my right leg in one arm, and pushed down on my left leg with his leg."

My fifteen year old "Cosmo" reading daughter raised her eyebrows at me.  It sounded like I was describing some bizarre (or maybe not so bizarre) sex position.  I didn't realize it might have looked or sounded like that until I described it. At the time, any amorous feelings were a million miles away as I was focused on the pain I was experiencing. This was about as sexy as being in labor. Jason's wife is studying to be a mid-wife. Perhaps she should have been helping me out.

Jack told me that some of these physical therapies have milestone based progress. Instead of doing the same exercises for three weeks, they closely monitor my progress and adjust from there. While I am making progress, I am not anywhere near meeting my goals yet. Here is a table from today's summary.



Short term Goals
Number of weeks
Goal Met
1
Full AROM of knee
3
no
2
Able to perform 30 SLR w/ out quad lag
3
no
3
Pt to be independent in HEP with 100% accuracy when demonstrated
4 weeks
no

Long term Goals

Goal Met
1
Able to double leg squat 10 times
6
no
2
Able to walk unlimited distances w/ out increased symptoms
8
no
3
Pt to be independent in HEP with 100% accuracy when demonstrated and able to progress as symptoms allow - 8 weeks
8 weeks
no

My PT team sends me an update after my sessions, which is very nice, except I can't understand much of it as it is written in technical terms. I don't mind technical terms.* I am glad my PT team knows more about PT than me. I can, however, understand what "Goal Met" means at the top of a chart and what "no" means beneath it.

On the other hand, I am glad that I can at least walk without a brace and/or crutches at times.  I am glad I can bear weight on my leg, which I couldn't do before. Here are a few milestones I have made recently:
  • Went to Trader Joe's and carried three bags of groceries up our 22 steps in two trips. This includes one bag that contained a five pound bag of clementines.
  • Went to QFC and carried one bag up the stairs, including a very heavy pineapple.
  • Cleaned part of the deck in the back to remove thin layer of organic growth (i.e., slime) due to extremely wet Pacific Northwest Climate and lack of sunshine on the north side of house. Needed to clean so I don't trip and fall when walking down steps. 
  • Went to Pacific Northwest Ballet studio rehearsal for Romeo and Juliette (the best ballet ever) and left crutch in the coat room. I did not want to bring bad juju into the practice room with my crutch. I also walked in such a manner that belied the fact I was wearing a monster brace. Turns out I was not the only one using an assistive walking device, but I was the youngest one using one by thirty or forty years.
  • I went to Queen Mary to buy tea even though I had to walk half a block as that was the closest I could park. In my pre-injury life, I would walk the half mile to Queen Mary from my house. Oh well.
Goals I would like to meet
  • Squatting is actually a useful thing to do. I had a hard time digging into the bottom cabinets the other day and I had to perform some unique gymnastics to get out my tea tins for my newly purchased tea.
  • Taking a shower.  I have been taking baths since the injury as I have been afraid to stand in the shower for that long without the brace.
  • Walking the dog. I miss walking Fox.
  • I was listening to "Time Warp" today while doing my home exercises. Some day I want to jump to the left, then step to the right, put my hands on my hips and knees in tight.
  • I want to take a Barre class.  Just finished reading Raising the Barre by Lauren Kessler about her dancing in the Nutcracker in middle age. Great read, btw.
  • Step on a chair to reach things in high places.
  • Sit on my left foot. When sitting on the couch or at my desk, I like to sit on my left foot. Why? I don't know.  It usually makes my foot sore after awhile, but it is my favorite position. I can't even bend my leg that much. I can't even pretend to get my leg that high.  This is some bizarrely comforting habit I have. When I can't do it, I feel like a toddler who can't suck his thumb. I get a little antsy and things aren't quite right.
  • I would like to walk gracefully, without a limp. I came close to that the other night at my son's soccer party when The Boy's coach said to me, "Oh you are the one with the injury!" after I grabbed my crutch.
Celebration
  • I might have a big dance party when this whole shebang is over. Disco ball, the whole nine yards, perhaps while wearing my favorite shoes.
I am so tempted to wear these into a physical therapy appointment before the surgery and see what my team says. Will they notice? Freak out? Or, will I fall, trip over myself, and need surgery on my other knee?
* I am going to ask someone on my team next week to give me a quick briefing on the acronyms.

No comments: