Sunday, October 15, 2017

$5

I was on the sidelines of the Boy's soccer game today talking to moms. The boys won 5-1 in case you are curious, especially compared to last week's cluster which was the first topic of conversation on the sidelines. Two moms weren't there and the witnesses relayed the horror. When the boys are winning, the moms chat. I missed the Boy score and then his "textbook corner kick" which got the team a goal. Oh well. I would say I'm a bad mom, but it is rude to cheer for your kid's team when they are dominating the game.

One of the moms talked about "Mom's Eyes" where she can find things in the fridge and around the house that her children can't see even if it is under their nose. 

"You mean this?" she said as she pretended to grab a mayonnaise jar out of the fridge. 

"When my family tells me they can't find something, I tell them 'If I find it, you owe me five dollars.' They immediate start looking much harder than they did before, hurrying in case I find it first. It is perfect!" I said.

After the game, I dropped the Boy at home and picked up Claire-Adele from her volunteer activity. On the way home, we stopped at the grocery store. Unlike shopping with a toddler, teenagers can run around the store and pick up red peppers and avocados. A half-gallon of blueberry cheese cake ice cream made it to the cart, but I figured that was a small price to have her help. 

We were in the aisle with the canned tomatoes. The shelves were nearly empty. I wondered if there was a blockage on I-5 and tomato trucks didn't make it to town this week.

"Where are the fire roasted tomatoes?" I said.

Claire-Adele picked up a can off a barren shelf and said, "You owe me five dollars."

No comments: