Friday, January 12, 2018

Darkness and the PNW

I would have titled this “Hello Darkness My Old Friend,” but darkness never has been my friend, really. The darkness I am referring to isn’t Satan, Voldemort, Darth Vader or Trump. It is the appalling lack of daylight and sunshine in the winter months in the Pacific Northwest.

I’ve lived in Seattle for more than thirteen years, so you’d think I’d be used to winter darkness. But during those thirteen years, I didn’t have a day job. I was home or out and about during the day. Now I walk the dog in the dark and ride the bus home on the dark. January is grimmer without Christmas lights up.

I don't think I am suffering from seasonal affective disorder, but I am finding the darkness to be oppressive. It’s not as if I live in Alaska or Norway, but this is worse that what I experienced in the Midwest. When we went to New Zealand a few years ago over the holidays, I felt little like I skipped winter.  That was the year of two summer solstices. We grilled chicken and lamb on the beach for Christmas.

I decided to take pictures to capture the oppressiveness of the darkness--sunrise with Fox, city lights on the way home from work. Maybe the darknesses isn't as bad as I thought. Still, I'm glad the days are getting longer.










No comments: