Friday, January 19, 2018

“Bye! Love you! Have a good day!”

Every day since Claire-Adele started preschool when she was three, I’ve said these departing words to her:

Bye! Love you! Have a good day!

When the Boy started school, I’d say the same thing to him. Sometimes I'd say it twice, once to Claire-Adele and then two seconds later to the Boy in the same chirpy voice.

"Bye! Love you! Have a good day!" Then so they would each feel special and not left out, I'd say the exact same words again: "Bye! Love you! Have a good day!"

How many times have I said this to my kids over the years? Let's do the math:

180 days in a school year plus 30 days of summer camp = 210 days a year
Claire-Adele -- 14.5 years (starting with preschool)
The Boy -- 11.5 years
26 years x 210 days = 5,460

I've uttered that phrase a lot. It has become rote, a habit, a mantra.

After I walked Fox the other morning, I stopped at the coffee shop around the corner and got something for the kids to eat for breakfast. At 7:03 a.m., there was a line and I started talking to Julianna, the barista who has been there for a few years. She knows everyone in my family, including Fox.

After I paid for my coffee and food, I left the shop. As I was walking out the door, I said

"Bye Julianna! Love ya! Have a good day!"

Yeah. I was tired, but not so tired that I didn't think it was funny. I caught myself and apologized to Julianna. I wondered how many times I have said that to my neighbors, friends, random people but never noticed.

"Don't worry," said Julianna, "I catch myself saying the same thing all of the time to my customers."

No comments: