Tuesday, January 2, 2018

My New Favorite Bike Ride

When I first moved to Seattle, I was stunned at how beautiful the view was on the 520 bridge across Lake Washington. A few weeks ago, a new bike and pedestrian lane along 520 just opened and it is amazing. Riding a bike is better than driving because there is more time to take in the scenery and there is less need to make sure I don't get in a crash. There are also little coves where people can rest and enjoy the water, mountains and cloud scapes.

Riding on the bridge reminds me of biking in the Midwest--whether along Lake Michigan or riding through corn fields--where there is stiff headwind riding in one direction and glorious tailwind in the other. When I was heading east, I put my bike in the granny gear and pedaled along getting steadily passed by packs of men in matching lyrca outfits all with the body fat percentage of a cricket. On the way back home heading west, the tailwind was my friend.








No comments: