Tuesday, June 16, 2020

BLM and the GOAT

I was out of town when Seattle exploded with protests of the George Floyd murder. I was talking to a friend at work about the protests and the question came up, "Why now?"

Why weren't there protests like this when Charleena Lyles, a mother of three with a history of mental health issues, called the police to report a break in and was then shot dead by police officers? Why wasn't the nation outraged then?

I told my friend the same reasons that kept me busy for the past two weeks were the same reasons that allowed the protests. I was worried about my mom who had COVID. I was taking care of my son whose surgery was rescheduled because of COVID.

"I am working, you are working. I am taking care of my son," she said. "When can we protest?"

She and I might not have time to protest, but forty million unemployed people and millions of out-of-school students have time. 

What else?

I give credit to Michael Jordan and ESPN. In April and May (or sometime during COVID season), ESPN aired a ten-part documentary on the Chicago Bulls. There were no live sports on television or in stadiums, so anyone who likes sports was probably watching the ESPN special.
  • MJ was the hero. 
  • Scottie Pippen and Dennis Rodman were supporting actors.
  • The primary villain: Jerry Krause, a short, square shaped white guy who managed the Bulls who thought he made the team great, not the players.
  • The ghost villains: The young thugs who murdered Michael Jordan's father.
Aside from Detroit Piston fans, who doesn't love Michael Jordan? Across the globe, people love MJ. When I was in Thailand in 1998, a random guy came and asked where I was from.

"Chicago," I said.

"Michael Jordan!" he replied. The GOAT put my hometown on the global map.

I believe this ESPN documentary was another reason people took to the streets. If the greatest living athlete isn't immune to violent hate crimes in his life, who is?

No comments: