Thursday, September 2, 2021

Pumpkin!

This morning, I watered the plants on my balcony and I found this:


I am growing an urban pumpkin. This is the best things ever. Yay!

This spring, Jack brought over some compost from the house and I boosted the soil for all of my container pots on my patio and balcony. In the mix were pumpkin seeds from pumpkins I composted years ago. When the volunteer pumpkin vines started showing up, I didn't hack them back. I could have treated them like weeds that were invading my cultivated pots. Jack used to tease me that I never pruned any of my plants. "You think all growth is good growth," he said years ago when my ficus tree collection took over our apartment in Chicago.

I didn't pull the scrappy and unkempt pumpkin vines, and now I have a baby pumpkin. I wonder how big it will get. Maybe I will find a few more. Will my baby pumpkin have brothers and sisters? I hope so. 


The green circle is where I found the pumpkin.



Here are other pumpkin vines on the patio. Will there be more pumpkins this fall?

No comments: