Tuesday, August 2, 2022

Mediation: The Twenty-Four Hour Chill Pill

I have been meditating almost every day for the past few years. This is nothing big and fancy -- just ten minutes before I get ready for bed on an app. (There are many out there: I use Calm and Ten Percent Happier.)

There are the odd busy days when I don't meditate, when I am caught up traveling or whatnot. I used to think that mediation brought me down from my past and present state to a great state of relaxation, peacefulness and serenity.

That is true, but mediation also makes me calmer in the future. It is my twenty-four hour chill pill.

I figured this out when I am feeling anxious or edgy about something. I will look back and realize I skipped my mediation the day before. If I skip a few days, holy cow. Look out.

Mediation doesn't simply make me numb to the crap in my day-to-day. It makes me more resilient so when the unexpected pops (which it always does), I can cope.

No comments: