Monday, August 29, 2022

Empty Nest, Homebody Hobbies, and Lauren 2.0

This summer has been the summer of hanging out with Pedro and his girlfriend, which has been delightful. I am grateful for this time with him, especially after he was away for two years in treatment.

Now Pedro is moving on to his next chapter. He is going to pack it up and move to Montana this fall. I am happy for him and this move to independence. With Claire-Adele living in D.C., I will be have an empty nest with both of my kids living out of state.

Which means I need to find something to do. I have a job, but I need to find a social life and fun activities.

"Maybe you can join a club," said my friend Clara. "What do you like to do?"

Great advice. I thought of things things I like to do:
  • Crossword puzzles
  • Jigsaw puzzles
  • Sewing quilts
  • Embroidery
  • Reading
  • Learning about meditation 
  • Paddle boarding
  • Learning Spanish on an app on my phone
  • Blogging

Great. Based on these hobbies, I am a homebody hermit.

Egads. I'd like to blame my list of loner activities on the isolation of the pandemic but can I? No. I liked a lot of these things before the lockdowns. I had a jigsaw puzzle stash that I had been accumulating for years before 2020. How did I end up with all of these activities I could do from my living room? A lot of these fit around motherhood. I could write a blog post or work on a quilt while my kids were doing homework. I could read while waiting for them to finish sports practice. These things kept me both occupied and present for my kids. A jigsaw puzzle on the coffee table would bring us together without needing to talk. My homebody hobbies were part of the nest I created for my kids.

I will never give up my homebody hobbies. They will always be a part of me. Nevertheless, I too will need to leave the nest, even if it was the nest I built. As my kids venture out, I need to as well. I feel like I am starting kindergarten, leaving the house and seeing what is in the world. What do I like? What is fun? Who will be my friends? I'll have to find out. We'll see what Lauren 2.0 brings. 

No comments: