Friday, January 27, 2023

Letting Go and Autonomous AI

One of the guys in my group at work quit this week, and as a result, my manager is re-assigning and redefining roles on our team, which is good. I am going to hand over a chunk of my current responsibilities to my colleague, to expand her internal resume. I am excited for her and I am happy to hand this work over. 

I don't want to be in Disaster Recovery for the rest of my career. In order to move on, I need to move out first. If I want a new role and new responsibilities, I need to let go of the current ones.

The challenge is I am letting go before my new role and responsibilities are clearly defined. I feel like I am a trapeze artist flying in the air, moments after letting go of one swing and before I catch the other. I am open and available, flying and free.

One of the projects I might be working on is setting up a Chatbot and then AI Operations, AI Ops for short. Both of these sounds really cool and would be great growth opportunities. I started taking an online UW Coursera class on Autonomous AI. I've heard from friends that AI is mostly calculus and probability, both of which I've studied extensively in college a million years ago. A million years ago; however, we did not have the computing and programming power to pull off AI. Now we do. 

I was really excited to take this four week course. I was a week and a half into the class and it was awesome. I was having so much fun taking the class. It was light and fluffy, showing how Frito Lay uses Autonomous AI to make Cheetos. The instructor on the videos is super engaging and fun. I was loving it.

Until yesterday, when I hit the brick wall of hard core engineering. OMG it was like learning a foreign language, with a bunch of acronyms and videos embedded in the video if I didn't know what PID and MCL meant.

While flying through the air between swings can be fun, there is also an element of terror at times. This is one of those times where it is best to push through the chapters even though I don't fully understand, and then loop back to pick up the rest, and have faith that it will all work out.

No comments: