Saturday, November 11, 2023

The Asshole

My improv teacher was talking about the left brain versus the right. The left brain is logical, analytical and focused on facts. Think of Dr. Spock from Star Trek. The dude has no emotions. The right brain is emotional, compassionate and creative. Think of poets or Moira Rose from Schitt’s Creek. We need both the left and the right in our lives. If we live our lives based only on facts, we will never have fun. If we live our lives solely based on intuition, we will never pay the bills.

In our modern capitalist world, the logicians prevail. We are often financially rewarded for our knowledge of math and science and finance and engineering.

In Improv, we need to learn to think with our second head, our second brain, that part where we listen to our gut. We need to turn off the right brain that censors our good ideas because they might not be the best idea. 

“The left brain is the asshole that doesn’t want you to have fun,” Mark said. 

How much have my life have I listened to the asshole? My god almost all of it! Back in college, Northwestern had a wonderful Improv show, The Meow Show. I had friends who said I should have tried out for it, but no, I was MMSS and was terrified of entering the same stage with bona fide actors, the pre-professionals. Maybe I wish I had learned more about Improv then instead of waiting so long, even if I didn’t make the first team.

Why did this friend say I should try out? I used to be funny. Not kind of funny or sort of funny, but make you snort out your nose funny. I want to find that soft, ticklish spot again.

Improv classes are helping me to tame and quiet the asshole. I will always love and honor my analytical side, but I need to make room for fun. The right side needs a chance to shine, to play, to dance, to sing.

No comments: