Friday, November 24, 2023

TSwift x2 , Suck It Scalpers! and the Screecher

Claire-Adele and I saw Taylor Swift twice in Brazil. We bought one set of tickets planning for the trip and a second set while we were here. The cost of the Saturday show dropped to $90 for floor seats, far below the Brazilian face value of the tickets. When Claire-Adele asked if we should go, I said of course. 

Taylor’s initially scheduled two shows in Rio, and added a third based on demand, which is great, but how can the people scheduling concerts know the true demand of the robot scalpers and buying so many tickets hoping to profit? It would be crazy. 

I hope we bought these tickets from a robot scalper  and they had to take a loss on the whole show.

At the second show, a screecher stood behind us. Everyone in the stadium was singing along, but this chick was screaming or yelling the lyrics, completely out of tune. She was sobbing and shouting the lyrics to “You Belong with Me” and “Love Story.” My head was about to explode. I had a few choices:

  1. I could continue to stand next to her and resent that she was ruining the concert.
  2. I could use my translation app and tell her to shut the fuck up, which would not have represented Americans well.
  3. I could passive-aggressively dance in her face and get her to move.
  4. I could move.
I could Option 4. I have her the space in front of me so I won’t have her voice blasting in my right ear, and Claire-Adele and I moved three spots to the left. Win-win.

Claire-Adele said there has been a big brouhaha on the internet about Gen Zer’s screaming at concerts. I guess a woman at a U.S. show paid $3k for a seat next to screecher. I was lucky I could move whereas the woman in the US could not. Even though it is a joyful and exciting concert, you can do whatever the fuck your want. Suppose I started singing the Star Spangler Banner in the middle of “Lover” because I was inspired. People would have every right to drag me out of there.

Ditto to the screechers. Back in the day, I remember attending the Steppenwolf theater in Chicago and they posted theater going etiquette in the program. Rick concerts have fewer rules, but there are still some.



No comments: