Wednesday, September 23, 2026

The Sun & The Son

My son Pedro has more or less lived in Montana since 2019, give or take a bit of time back in Seattle. He currently lives in the Flathead Valley reasonably close to Glacier National Park, one of the crown jewels in the system. People all over the world travel to Glacier. The highlight of Glacier is the "Going to the Sun Road."

In all of the years my son has lived in Montana, I have visited him there at least a dozen times. I have never gone on the "Going to the Sun Road."

Last Friday when I was in Montana, I did it. I made a dream that I didn't even really know I had come true. I drove the "Going to the Sun Road." 

It was awesome.

It was so awesome, I wondered why I had never done it before. A few reasons:

  • Sometimes when you have family that lives in a cool place, you visit them and skip the fun stuff.
  • "Going to the Sun Road" is only open a few months a year. It is mountain road in a park called Glacier. As such, it can be covered with snow almost all of the year. In 2026, the road opened on June 23. It closes on October 3, which means it is open for a little more than three months.
  • We did other cool stuff besides go to the National Park. Pedro is a magnificent fishing guide, and he knows lots of cool spots. It is hard to refuse a jaunt to hidden fly fishing river spot in Montana. 
  • Lack of will? I dunno.
I did the drive, and I felt so much joy. If I hadn't taken the drive, I could have spent the day noodling around the cute shops (see: The Toggery where I have previously bought multiple pairs of shoes, including hiking boots, water shoes, and dress boots) on Main Street, which I have done a dozen times before. But do I really need another pair of shoes?

No.

I needed to see "Going to the Sun."


























No comments: