Today, I met with an orthopedic surgeon.
(Lots of fun.)
Ten and a half years ago, I had an ACL repair from surgeon at the University of Washington Sports Medicine Clinic based in the basement of Husky Stadium. (Sidebar: I've been in stadium basement more then fifty times for physical therapy, but I have never seen one football game there.)
Walking in the UW Sports Medicine clinic was surreal. The clinic looks pretty much the same -- even the promotional poster of a woman running is still there.
Dr Greene did my first knee surgery ten years ago, but a few weeks after my procedure, he moved to Austin, Texas. Some of my follow-up appointments were with another doctor, Doctor K. I met with him today. He called it out that we had met before years ago.
Not only have I been to this clinic before, but Pedro and Jack have been as well. We should have gotten a family discount.
As I sat in the same examination room I had been in before, I was transported emotionally back ten years. I felt like when I left the place, I should head back to Ravenna, make dinner and then drive Pedro to soccer practice.
It was weird.
Then I wondered what would have happened if I showed up a Jack's house and acted as if nothing had changed in the past ten years, if I walked in, asked where the kids were and where we should go for dinner, as if the year was 2016, not 2026. What would he say? What would he do? Would he call the loony bin and book me a place?
I didn't go back to my old home, fortunately. I went back to my new home, my condo. I texted my new friends. Sanity prevailed.
No comments:
Post a Comment