Thursday, November 7, 2013

Fox Dog's Internal Clock

As you know, we have a new dog, Fox.  We sometimes call him Fox Dog so he is not confused with a regular fox.  My husband thinks it would be funny to have a flock of pets named Fox, followed by their species:  Fox Gerbil, Fox Fish, Fox Hedgehog, etc.

Fox Dog has adapted well to our family, so far.  The first night we had him, we had no idea if he would sleep through the night or wander around the house for hours.  We turned out the lights, and he crawled under our bed to rest.  He made a few scratching noises in the night, but other than that, he woke up when we did.  All was good.

My husband wakes up at 5:40 a.m. or so a few days a week.  He goes into the kitchen, makes coffee and takes care of email.  When my DH woke, so did the dog.  This was fine until it somehow got hardwired into our dog that we wake up at 5:40, including weekends and days when DH doesn't get up at 5:40.  I do not wake up at 5:40.  I sleep as long as I can and set my alarm clock to 7:45.  That is two hours of precious sleep.  And I can't drink coffee.  Sleep is my caffeine.  I need real sleep in order to function during the day.

Why do people and animals have internal clocks?  Why is my dog now an alarm clock?  Should his name be Fox Dog Rooster?  How did this happen evolutionarily?  Does it remind us to milk the cows, feed the chickens, catch the fish?  Seriously, why?  Did something industrialization mess us up when we moved away from the farms with cows and roosters, when we didn't need to rise at dawn?  We set our own schedules, and hence the machines with bells and buzzers to wake us up when we demand.

No one told Fox about industrialization.  He thinks it is his job to wake us at 5:40 with his happy little bounce, jangling tags, and if we our lucky, his little body bounding on our bed.

If I don't reset Fox's clock, I'll be too tired to figure out what I want to do when I grow up.

No comments: