Saturday, March 29, 2014

Thief!

Yesterday, I wrote about my sweet, small dog.  I even had an adorable picture of him standing on a dining room chair under the table.


That was before he became a thief.

Yesterday, I bought the kids croissants from a local bakery for an afternoon snack.  These are not the grocery store/Costco things that try to pass as croissant.  These are the some of the best croissants in a two mile radius of my home.  They are soft and buttery inside, and have a delicious crust on the outside.  (Dear Bakery Nouveau, How about opening a NE Seattle shop?  Thanks, Lauren)

The Boy had eaten half of his croissant, and then left the table.  All of the chairs were tucked in so Fox could not climb up and grab food.  In January, Fox stole the Boy's ham sandwich when the Boy left his chair out.  Since then, Fox has learned a new trick.  He stands on a chair, and sticks his head up in the three inch gap between the table and the curve of the back of the chair.  I didn't think he could get anything off the table, but he did yesterday.  I heard his dog tags jingle, but he wouldn't come when I called.  I went into the dining room to see a yellow Ikea plate on the floor.  That's odd, I thought.  The kids don't toss plates on the floor.  I walked into the living room to see Fox snarfing down what was left of the Boy's croissant.  When he saw me, he ran with his booty under the couch.  When I tried to get him from under the couch, he growled at me.  Clearly, I am not the Alpha when he has to choose between the pack and croissant.

Fox checking out what's on the table while his people are away.
I should mention that Fox has been on a diet.  We took him to the vet a few weeks ago and he has to lose two pounds, which is a lot when you weigh only ten.  We are now giving him half as much food as he used to get.  On the one hand, I feel sorry that he is getting less.  On the other, he should look back at those gravy days and be thankful they once were.

Since the diet began, Fox is constantly hungry and his food seeking behavior is higher than usual.  A few weeks ago he stole food right from under my daughter's nose.  My daughter had Fox on her lap at the end of dinner.  When she turned her head to talk to her father, Fox snatched her chicken pita from her plate.  My daughter said that years from now when our family gets together, we will talk about Fox's food stealing escapades.

My little burglar got me thinking -- what if he were to steal valuable things, like silverware?  Wouldn't that be a great plot to an anti-Disney movie?  "Lap dog turns into world's greatest jewel thief, taking precious gems from unsuspecting old ladies."  He could snuggle up to them, and as they fell asleep, he could take their necklaces, bracelets and earrings.  He could take their sterling place settings.  I am not sure how the movie would end.  Would the thief dog go to jail, or would he change his ways and become a Robin Hood dog, stealing from the rich to give to the poor?  Maybe they wouldn't solve his crimes because they would never suspect a dog.  Maybe he would take the money and retire someplace warm without extradition laws.  He would sit on the beach with his restored diet while his glamorous owner drank cocktails.  I might vote for the last option.

Fox's internal thoughts: *Get away from me! It's mine!* He growls and shakes butt at lady who is yelling. 

No comments: