Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Tom Peters and Fixing the Toilet

When I was growing up, my dad worked in manufacturing.  Being in management, he would often bring home business books for me to read.  I read a decent number of his recommended books when I was younger, probably more than a typical person my age.  His favorite was The Goal by Eliyahu Goldratt.  (Spoiler:  The "goal" is to have a profitable business.  Interestingly, this idea that a company should or ought to be solvent was lost on many executives, including some people I worked with.  I wish I would have read this book back when I was Chairman of the A&O Film Board in college.  Oh well.)  I enjoyed reading books my dad recommended.  I felt like I was getting an inside peek into executive offices.

Another popular writer my father liked was Tom Peters, co-author of In Search of Excellence: Lessons from America's Best Run Companies.  I read some of Tom Peters work ages ago, and he seemed grounded and rational.  A few weeks ago, I was at the Central Library and they had one of his books for sale on the $2.00 shelf.  I saw The Project 50: Fifty Ways to Transform Every "Task" into a Project that Matters from his Reinventing Work series, and I read a page.  Here is what I found on page 22:

      "Your spouse says, 'Fix the toilet.  Now.'

      And the boss says, 'Let's redesign the Returns Policy to be a little less bureaucratic.'

      Each one is a 'project.'  Each one is pretty damn clear.

      Wrong. Exactly wrong.

      The toilet job?  Should we fix the toilet?  Sure.  But it also brings up that the bathroom is in the wrong damn place!  (Can't believe what idiots the people were who designed and built this house.)  Maybe we really need ought to get moving with that oft-delayed renovation project.  Which reminds me, my mom is getting older, older, older.  We really should think about building an 'in-law' apartment for her over the garage. Etc."

I was appalled.  Appalled.  Here I thought these books were chock full of wisdom, and I was ready scream.  So I bought the book.  Rarely do I buy a book because it ticked me off, but I like Tom Peters and thought I'd give him the benefit of the doubt.  And the book was only $2.00.

Dear Tom Peters,

Speaking for wives everywhere, we would like you to fix the toilet.  Please do not remodel the house, move the bathroom or put in an "in-law"apartment.  You say you should fix the toilet, but after reading the rest of your paragraph, I can tell your heart isn't in it.  I am sorry if that is boring or just a task.  But really.  Just fix the toilet and fix it soon.  If you need to run to the hardware store or call a plumber, that is fine.  Phone calls to an architect and contractors can wait until after the toilet is fixed.

Sincerely,
Lauren

No comments: