Sunday, September 28, 2014

What Would Joan Do?

My friend H was once told by a spiritual advisor that this might be her vacation life.  In past lives, she might have had might struggles or challenges, and this life was a vacation life, where things are easy and troubles small.  Yet, she struggles to find purpose and meaning in her life.

While I have faced challenges (losing a baby, my brother's battle with schizophrenia, Jack's workaholism, etc.), in some ways my life is a vacation life.  I am raising my two kids, and all of my basic needs for food, clothing and shelter are met with limited effort on my part.

I wonder what would happen if Joan of Arc were reincarnated as an American housewife, and everything were easy for her.  Would the Maid of Lorraine have a hard time sitting still?  What would Joan do?  Would she be happy driving her kids to and from school every day?  Or, would she be out there running for Senate, or leading the Occupy movement?  Would she take on bigger challenges now that her needs were met, or was the fact that she was stuck in the middle of a war inspire her to act?


No comments: