Thursday, December 24, 2015

Skiing Accident

We took the kids skiing Saturday and I had an accident. I fell and I felt my knee pop. I got back up to ski down the hill, and as soon as I put all of my weight on my left leg, I fell again. Some people stopped, and I still couldn't put weight on my left leg. They called the Ski Patrol and they took me down the hill in the sled. The best part of the day was when the Ski Patrol asked Jack how old I was, and the ski guy said "She's twenty...." Jack said they couldn't tell because I was wearing a helmet and goggles. 

At the bottom of the hill at the end of the sled ride, I still couldn't bear weight on my leg. The Ski Patrol put me in the sled again and took me to the car. It was the second run of the day. Ugh. The snow was pretty fresh and fast, and it had a ton of moguls. I got going too fast and crashed. 

The bizarre thing is that my knee doesn't hurt. It is getting a little stiff and swollen, but that is about it. We went to the UW ER. They took an x-ray, which was fine. They don't do MRIs on the weekend. Another good thing is that I was wearing brand new underwear! This was good considering I had to get wheeled around the hospital in a hospital gown. 

The worst part was figuring out what I was going to do with our crap load of steps to the house. We have 17 steps on the first flight and five on the second. I always told the kids if I get hurt that I'd have to spend the week at the Silver Cloud Inn and they would have to fend for themselves. I called Ashley, our neighborhood, to see if I could use their apartment with no steps. They are in the process of renovating it, so I thought I might be able to crash there. She said it only has a bed and a tea kettle and that I'd be better off at home. She might be right. I had to sit on my butt and hoist myself up the stairs. I made it. I have no idea how I am going to get down, or out of the house. I hope I don't go crazy. Winter Break started today, so the kids will be home to help me out. Jack is working at Harborview starting Monday through Sunday. We are supposed to go to Bend, Oregon to ski the week after Christmas. Oh well. I'll probably be sitting at the house with the dog reading a book, watching movies or doing crossword and jigsaw puzzles. 

I have been taking yoga lately, which has been a good thing. I've been having to do lots of tree positions and standing on one leg, even some "Warrior 3" (I think it is "Warrior 3") to pick up things up that have fallen on the ground. 

The Boy said he wished that he was the one who got hurt instead of me. "I am young and you aren't." It is the thought that counts. I am glad he didn't get hurt. He has been really helpful so far, especially since I can't carry anything. I was shopping with my friend Lucy Thursday and I bought a cute little shopping bag. I was going to give it to someone for Christmas, but I might use it to carry things around the house since I am on crutches and don't have free hands.

No comments: