Sunday, December 27, 2015

Skiing Accident, Part 4 -- Life Around the House

As I hobbled around the house, Jack googled ACL injuries. Lindsey Vonn, the Olympic skier, had a torn ACL.  She recovered and continued to ski at an elite level. I also think of FRD and all he accomplished from his wheelchair.  A man who at the time would have been called crippled saved the world from Hitler. While it is nice to see these successful people manage and recover from illness and accident, I'd rather have my whole knee. I am still hoping it is just a sprain and not something worse.

Part of my challenge is managing life around the house.  FDR was raised in a wealthy family, and I doubt he ever had to make dinner or do the laundry. The kids are helping out -- the Boy learned how to use the washing machine and drier.  I am learning a few new things, too, like I have to be very specific about where things are when I ask my family to find things for me.  I can't say something is "on the table" because we have three tables. I can't say "In the dining room" when I think it could also maybe be in the kitchen.  Part of this is my family's inability to look beyond their noses. They are learning. 

I was just getting use to putting more weight on my left leg and using one crutch when my knee slipped while I was getting into the car last night.  We live on a steep hill, and as I was getting in the front seat, the door began to close as gravity pulled it down.  My weight automatically shifted to my downhill hill leg--the injured one--and my knee slipped.  Now it is tender and I am afraid to put more weight on it. Argh. I was hoping my knee was just sprained and getting better.  With this slip, I've lost a little faith in my sprain theory.

My poor right leg is having a hard time, too, as is my right shoulder and left wrist.  I am doing my range of motion exercises with my left leg, but my right one doesn't get to stretch because it has to bear my weight.  I am thinking of going to one of those Silver Stepper classes at the YMCA with the seniors who exercise while sitting on a chair.  There used to be a television shows with exercises for shut-ins.  Maybe that is next on my agenda.

Another challenge is clothing.  My doctor said to wear my new break next to my skin. This is fine, except I have so few clothes that fit over the brace.  I have one baggy pair of cords, and two pairs of fleece sweatpants.  I have dozens of skirts, but this is not the right season for those.   I have old style baggy yoga pants, too, but those are too loose in the hips. They might slide less if the brace helps hold them up.  Maybe I'll head to Pacific Fabrics and make my own baggy pants, or pants with a larger left leg.  Surely, someone must have thought of this!

A few years ago, the Boy's Lego team had to work on Senior Solutions. The idea was to come up with an idea that would help people over the age of sixty stay connected, independent and engaged.  Why not come up with clothing ideas for people who are on crutches or use a walker? I've seen the little bags women put on walkers. What about when people need crutches? What about having little attachments to the crutches so people can carry things around?  Just a thought.

No comments: