Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Ghosts of Wrigley

The World Series is on right now, and I can't watch. I can't watch. It is too much. I might have a stroke or a heart attack.

My Grandpa Conti was a Cubs fan since he came to the U.S. in 1920 or so. I saw signs at Wrigley that said "This one's for Grandpa!" It wasn't just my grandparents--there are millions of Chicagoans who have never seen the Cubs win a World Series. Millions of ghosts are in that stadium in Cleveland tonight, cheering on the Cubs.

Scott Turow wrote the best thing ever about the Cubs. He had a beautiful essay published in a book, otherwise, I'd have a link here. It was about the meaning of Cubs, and how this transcends generations. Turow was a Cubs fan like his dad, and Turow's son became a Cubs fan like him, all cursed with seeing their team suffer defeat.

Win or lose, here are some great things about the Cubs:
  • They define the meaning of unconditional love. We love Wrigley Field and beautiful days drinking pop or beer and eating hot dogs. I remember Jack and I went to a game in early April with his friends. These seats were the worst seats in the worst weather. We sat in the last row by the fence, and the wind and rain blew right through us the whole game. But I remember it. Outside of Wrigley, Jack remembers my grandfather in the nursing home listening to the Cubs on WGN. He never gave up on his team.
  • Maddon has given us a great phrase: "Try not to suck." This could be the meaning of life. Win or lose, if you try to do a good job, that matters.
  • This season has created something very special: a fourth generation Cubs fan in my family. The Boy would have something to talk about with his great-grandfather, and that to me is amazing. 
  • Maybe someday is today.
Okay, gotta watch the end.

#trynottosuck
#flytheW



No comments: