Monday, August 26, 2019

First Day of School and Old Women

Today was the first day of school for both the Boy and Claire-Adele. For the first time since Claire-Adele started kindergarten, neither one of them are home for this event, and this is kind of sad for me.

Yesterday was a good day. I spent it with old women. For the midday, I ate lunch with my friend Eleanor who is 98. I helped her start her first blog, which is exciting. Once she gets a few posts up, I'll share her blog here.

Then I went to a dance/birthday party for a woman in my writing group who turned 65. She has colon cancer and is now on palliative care. It was interesting to have my day bookended by one woman who is very old, strong, sane, sharp and healthy, and another woman is not that old, but is strong, sane, sharp and dying. Both are very aware of the short time they might have left and want to use each moment meaningfully.

My mother has Alzheimer's, so my go-to older and wiser woman isn't there for me. I have wonderful aunts who live in Chicago and I should reach out to more often than I do. Nevertheless, I am so glad that I have found older and wiser women here in Seattle, and that they allowed me to be part of their lives, especially as they might not have much time left. I want to soak both of them up.

No comments: