Tuesday, August 13, 2019

The Boy & The Grove of the Patriarchs

Jack and I talked to the Boy this afternoon. He will be graduating from Wilderness next week and then move on to boarding school. He was in such a good mood -- I haven't heard him that happy in months. And it wasn't just because he was getting to leave Wildie (pronounced Will-dee).

"I'm going to miss it, but I am looking forward to moving on," he said. "I know I can catch up on my missed academics at boarding school, but can I get ahead?"

Wow. That is a 180 from where we were in June.

His voice, so strong and confident. His laugh, joking with his therapist. I am still going to miss him terribly, but I know he will be fine. And isn't that my job? To let him go. Of course, it is hard that I won't get a front row seat at the next stage of his growth, but at least he is out of bed.

I talked to my friend who has anxiety and depression. "You know, there are setbacks and dips," he said when I told him about my wonderful conversation with the Boy today.

I know, and I am expecting that. I am hoping this burst of his energy and confidence will make future bumps easier to take. I've learned from my parent training at Wildie is the best we can do is to live in the present. I'll absorb the joy that I am feeling now, and let it ride.

________

Last weekend, I visited the Grove of the Patriarchs in Mount Rainier. Jack and I had brought the kids there years ago. My campaign manager from when I ran for School Board would often call me a Proud Momma. Yep.


The Boy getting his Jr. Ranger badge. I love this picture. He is so serious.


My future skiers playing on summer snow.




My tree huggers.



No comments: