Saturday, January 23, 2021

Good News: Happy 100th Birthday to Eleanor Owen

My dear friend Eleanor Owen turned 100 years old on Friday. She wanted to have a big party, but covid killed her plans. 

"If I get covid, three weeks later it will be bye-bye Eleanor," she told me at the start of the pandemic. As such, I've stayed away from her. I am consider myself reasonably sociable, but Eleanor makes me look like a homebody by comparison. Eleanor always is having someone over for lunch or dinner. In the pre-covid world, I had season tickets to the UW Theater. Eleanor was my guest. I'd drive to her house where she'd make an amazing Italian meal that would be too special or complicated to serve in a restaurant. Once she made this tomato based dish with some kind of meat. After the sauce had simmered, she cracked three eggs in the sauce, covered each egg with a massive slice of mozzarella cheese, and then let the eggs poach for a few minutes. The whole thing was slopped up with a thick, crusty bread. It sounds odd, but it was delicious. After dinner, I'd drive Eleanor and I to the play. 

I am delighted Eleanor has made it to 100, especially with as much energy as she has. I called her Friday afternoon to wish her a happy birthday. People were calling her all day, and dropping off flowers. 

"I am exhausted by love," she said.

Hopefully, next year I can make it to her 101st birthday bash.

In other news, we have a new President. The old one was dissed by the Proud Boys and almost all American manufacturing in recent days. I have some friends who are or were Trump supporters. I can love my friends and not be a fan of the man himself. For me, Inauguration Day this year was like the Super Bowl, Academy Awards and Valentine's Day all wrapped into one.

No comments: