Friday, March 4, 2022

Colors and my Mask

This week, Seattle has been lit up with blue and yellow in solidarity with the Ukraine.

Which is fine...




...except these are the same structures that have red lights on Valentine's Day and orange on Halloween. They are blue and green when the Seahawks or Sounders have a big game. The war on the Ukraine isn't a sporting event. This isn't something to cheer for or about. When will these buildings change the lights to something different? Will these structures turn the lights green for St. Patrick's Day? Does that mean we no longer care about the Ukraine?

Perhaps I am being too cynical. Maybe when people feel helpless about a war thousands of miles away, they do what they can, which is pick a side and fly the flag. Would it be worse to not have the colors? Will the colors work like inspiring people to watch football, and inspire us to read more about the war, to follow it, to take a position? Maybe.

Even though a war is going on far away, the other 7.6 billion people figure out a way to carry on with their lives, going about our business. As I am.

Funny story -- I was at the gym other day riding the elliptical, watching Ali Wong, my favorite comediennes. I love Ali. As per King County orders, I had to wear a mask while exercising. In the middle of my workout, I pulled down my mask and took a gulp of water. As soon as I pulled my mask up, something hilarious happened in Ali's movie and I snorted out the water. Into my mask. I has a mask full of water and spit. It was gross, but also really funny. Most of the water leaked on to the front of my shirt, but I was at the gym so I just looked super sweaty. Fortunately, there was only one other person in the cardio room when it happened.

Pedro was unimpressed with this story. I can't wait until he is no longer a petulant teenager. Then, he might think I am funny. I can dream, right?

No comments: