Monday, March 21, 2022

Disney Person

"Are you a Disney person?" asked the woman sitting next to me at the bar. It was Saturday night. I had just flown in and was finishing dinner. She was a travel agent from Massachusetts at this Disney resort for a company meeting.

Am I a Disney person? I hedged. I thought to myself but didn't say, "Oh god no! Are you nuts? I'm a London or Paris or National Parks kind of person. I used to ski with my family in Whistler. I prefer a real vacation to something fabricated."

Instead, I did what any good politician would do: I didn't answer the question asked, but nor did I lie. "The last time I was here was in high school. I live in the Pacific Northwest now, so Disney is pretty far..."

(Not as far as New Zealand, but I didn't say that.)

I have been to Disney World several times as a kid, but I never took my own children here. I enjoyed Disney World as a kid. I loved riding the Monorail. I have taken my kids to theme parks, including Legoland and Sea World. The kids loved both. I am not sure why I never brought the kids here--maybe I was overwhelmed by the size, scope and intensity of the place. I am sure kids love it, but it seemed like a giant chore for parents to bring their kids here. The thought a trip here would be overwhelming. As I kid, I just remember waiting in line and walking. The rides were cool, but it was a busy, exhausting day.

Now I have been here for a few days, enjoying the Florida sunshine and ignoring Florida politics. I haven't been to any of the amusement parks here. I've stayed on an island within the resort where the convention is held. I have no idea how giant the entire Disney complex is, but the walking path around the lake at the Coronado is about a mile. It takes a good twelve minutes for me to walk to the convention center from my room, and I am on the same campus as the conference.

Even though I have only seen a tiny slice of the place, I am starting to see why people like Disney.

This is a beautifully manicured bubble. Everything is wonderfully and whimsically designed to please both parents and kids. I was at dinner last night by myself, and I got to take in the details of the restaurant, from the stained glass vaulted ceilings and the parabola shaped windows, to the artwork on the walls to the tile on the floor. It all looks so well considered, and it is pretty, quiet and clean.






No comments: