Wednesday, June 1, 2022

Ada

The massacre that happened last week was surreal. I didn't hear about it until the morning after, but the night before I put on my Ada ring. I haven't worn it in a while, but I felt compelled to wear it last week, after the shooting occurred but before I heard about it.

As many of you know, I had a stillbirth, and I have a ring to wear in her memory. 

Losing a child was one of the most profound losses of my life. Her death was at the hand of nature, not the hand of man. 

This story of the slaughter in Texas will fall away from the news, but the loss of the kids will never fall away from those families, from that community. Decades later, they will still wonder what their kids would be doing now if they had lived.

It is so strange that we spend billions and billions and billions of dollars on healthcare this country. A single child with a complex medical condition might rack up millions of dollars in fees over several years.

And yet, we can't protect children in schools from mass shootings by eliminating the single common factor in mass shootings: guns.

I am not against medical care for fragile children -- I support it. I find it ironic that we can make such heroic efforts for those kids and we don't take simple measures to protect other innocent and healthy children before they are hunted by madmen.

No comments: