Wednesday, June 29, 2022

Pride and Independence

Last Sunday was the Pride Parade in Seattle, just a few blocks from my condo. I walked over to watch it for about an hour. There is a range of participants, from corporate and government floats, to small, obscure groups, from a running group to a leather fan club. All kinds, all types, with lots of music, glitter and dancing.

Even though I am not a member of the LGBTQ community, I find the parade joyful and festive and I am happy to cheer on the participants. This parade comes one week before the Fourth of July celebrating American independence, which goes hand in hand with freedom. The Pride Parade is the perfect expression of freedom, where people are free to say who they are, and love who they love. 

I know this isn't what the Founding Fathers had in mind, but that is the beauty of democracy. It evolves as we evolve.

No comments: