Monday, July 4, 2022

Feast or Famine, or Absence Makes the Heart Grow Fonder

So I've been struggling with this pre-diabetes. One of the books I recommend suggests fasting as a way to drop blood sugar levels. This makes sense. If I have high blood sugar and keep eating, my blood sugar will go up.

I've been fasting for thirty-one hours, and I stopped because I was getting emotional labile. (See: previous post "Sally Had Boundaries." Yikes!) Cheese and crackers plus an orange seemed to elevate my mood.

I am enjoying my fasting periods. There are tricks to fasting, and I am learning them. One weekend I want to make it to forty-eight hours, and then maybe seventy-two. #goals.

I don't think I am going to become anorexic because I love food. If anything, these periods of fasting make me love food even more. Yesterday, (before I started the fast) I visited a friend who made dosas, a crispy Indian crepe with chutney. So delicious. I have to learn to cook these.

While I am trying to manage my blood sugar, I am reading Salt Fat Acid Heat: Mastering the Elements of Good Cooking by Samin Nosrat. Fasting makes me want to eat better food. If I am going to eat, it had better be awesome.

And I can figure it out.






No comments: