Tuesday, July 5, 2022

WTF America

My co-worker Patrick is riding in the "Tour Divide" and there was an article about the race in the print version of the New York Times. Super cool, way to go Patrick! 

I went to email the article to people on my team when I was blasted with the news of the mass shooting in Highland Park, Illinois. Highland Park is about fifteen miles from where I went to college, and is one of the North Shore Chicago suburbs on Lake Michigan. I think Pedro went to school with kids from Highland Park. I have friends who live close enough. They probably were not at the parade, but still this has got to be devastating for them.

You know the funny thing about guns in America--these mass shootings never seemed to be perpetrated by people who hunt deer or ducks for dinner or sport. You don't see some middle age guy with a beer gut dressed in camo and an orange vest rampaging a shopping mall or school. Can we create some sensible laws that allow people who want hike for miles in the wilderness to nap a buck with a rifle but prevent automatic weapons to be given to whack jobs so they don't slaughter innocent people?

No comments: