Wednesday, February 24, 2016

The (Second to) Last Supper

I had Jack take me out to dinner tonight. My surgery is Friday and I thought we eat at home tomorrow. I also figured it might be a while before Jack and I are go out and about when I am recovering from the operation. We gave the kids money for dinner and they found something to eat. I hate to think what the neighborhood take-out restaurants think of us as parents. I wonder how many twelve years old they see coming to dinner so often.

We went to Franks Oyster House and Champagne Parlor for dinner. We skipped the oysters and small plates and just had dinner, no dessert. But we did share a half bottle of champagne. Jack belted out in the restaurant that I can't drink while I am on narcotics. He said it when there was that magical moment of silence in a crowded place, where everyone pauses to eat or breathe at the same moment, expect for one voice which is then heard in the entire establishment. Only half the people in the restaurant heard. I don't think his voice carried into the bar.

Normally, I don't mind people overhearing what ever kind of raucous conversation I am having. I was slightly embarrassed by this, though. He also said I shouldn't drink tomorrow night so I am not dehydrated going into the surgery. The pre-op nurse recommended not smoking pot the week before the operation as it might mess up the anesthesia (not a problem here,) but she didn't say anything about alcohol. Still, Jack has a good point. No more booze for me for several weeks, at least until I am stable walking.

I am such a light weight drinker these days. I was slightly inebriated walking home. (My kids go to the take-out places while Jack and I hit one of the nicest restaurants in NE Seattle. I had better own this one before my kids write a memoir on their messed up childhood.)

Now I remember why I haven't been drinking while I've been recovering. I usually do one round of my exercises before I go to bed. It is absolutely zero fun to do 90 leg lifts and all of my other PT while mildly drunk. And I don't like counting my reps while I am sober. Infinitely less fun while intoxicated.

No comments: