Saturday, May 11, 2019

Three Little Words...Times Two

When people think of "three little words," the first three words that come to mind are "I love you." Some people might argue those are the three most important words in English. Sure, they could argue that. I heard a line a great country song "Humble and Kind" by Lori McKenna: "I love you ain't no pick-up line." Sometimes it is used as a pick-up line. Sometimes it is easy to say, like to your kids or your parents. Other times, it takes a while to build up to it.

But I think there are more important words that "I love you." When you are dating someone, "I love you" can get you in the room.

"You are right" and "I am sorry," on the other hand, will keep you in the room. Any time two humans exist for any period of time in the same space, they will likely scrape up against each other. "I am sorry" and "You are right" soften the blow, adding a buffer when the wrong things are said and done and we want to make amends.

"I am sorry" and "You are right" are all-purpose. They have more flexibility and can be used anywhere, with anyone, by anyone, to anyone for anything: Kids, parents, friends, co-workers, significant others. "I love you" tends to be reserved for close family members or people falling in love.

No comments: