Sunday, September 13, 2020

"Lauren, You are 100% Wrong" and Meditation

This week, I have been meditating, which has been a good thing. I've tapped into the Open Sky meditation podcasts from the Boy's Wilderness Therapy. One of the benefits of meditation is emotional resilience.

Friday, I had meeting at 7:00 a.m., two hours earlier than I normally start work. After the meeting, I took a break, eat breakfast and decided to meditate.

That was a very good call because at nine I was called into a meeting to represent me team to a half dozen of out internal stakeholders. The first forty-five minutes of the meeting were tough, but the last fifteen minutes "blew chunks" to use a metaphor from sixth grade.

"Lauren, you are 100% wrong," said one of the stakeholders.

Yeah.

Thanks to meditation, I didn't completely lose my shit. I was able to focus on the rest of the day and be fairly productive. It wasn't that I stuffed down my feelings of rage and self-righteous indignation. Rather, I didn't pick up the bullshit that this guy laid at my feet. I left it there in the meeting. Meditation gave me a layer of protection from the slings and arrows of others. Kind of like a turtle's shell, or slime on a slug.

Aside from that one giant cluster-fuck, I've noticed since I've been meditating that people are nicer to me. My teammates were exceptionally kind to me all afternoon.

No comments: