Saturday, September 12, 2020

It's the End of the World as We Know It, and Rain Dance

Nineteen years ago, the Twin Towers collapsed after a terrorist attack. Nearly three thousand people died and 25,000 people were injured.

That was considered a really bad time, and it was.

I thought about 9/11/2001 yesterday, and how on 9/11/2020, we are experience more a slow, drawn out form of suffering instead of an accute blast of tragedy.

Seattle, as much of the world, has taken a beating in 2020. 

  • In March, we were the first place in the U.S. to have documented COVID cases. We have been in some form of quarantine since then.
  • In June, we had protests turn into riots over racial inequity.
  • In September, we are living in a city dangerously filled with smoke from wildfires in Eastern Washington, Oregon and California.
A friend of mine from the Midwest texted me and asked how the smoke is in Seattle. I said when I am wearing my COVID mask I don't even really notice it that much.

I have to admit I am feeling a little trapped right now. If the air quality got really bad, where would I go that I could drive? I can't drive east because I'd have to drive through areas hit by fires. I can't drive south because Portland and California are on fire as well. I can't drive north because Americans aren't allowed into Canada because of COVID. West is water: Elliot Bay and the Puget Sound.

What's left?

Pray for rain.

Thursday evening downtown


Thursday evening


Yesterday afternoon


This morning


Typical view in the spring and summer (above and below)


No comments: