Sunday, March 21, 2021

FOMO, Part 3: Comfort v. Faith

Tomorrow I start my new job. 

I have a vague idea what I will be doing, but they seem to think I will be a good fit and they will on-board me with what I need to know. I could be freaking out, but I am not. 

(Okay, I am freaking out a little bit.) 

I had been planning to cram on the topic of what I will be dealing with, but my last two weeks at my old job were crazy busy as I was on stage for hours a day of voice recordings, transferring the knowledge of my job to whomever takes over my role.

I think back to when Lance offered my my first job after being a stay-at-home mom for years. I asked him what his group does in the organization. When he told me, he sounded like the "whah-whah-whah" voices of the adults talking in Charlie Brown cartoons.

I have no idea what this guy is talking about, I thought, but I took the job anyway. Therein was my Great Leap of Faith. And it was fine. The people were (and still are) nice, and the work had the perfect balance between being not too easy and not too hard. I learned a lot and was growing.

The other day I was listening to a meditation by Tamara Levitt called Optimal Anxiety where she shared a quotation from Karen Salmansohn: "The best things in life are often waiting for you at the exit ramp of your comfort zone."

Tomorrow, I will be getting off the highway of my comfort zone and getting on the exit ramp to the unknown, the unpredictable. When I was in PTA, I had an expression: "We are making this up as we go along." Except for surgeons and other people with precise and repetitive positions, of us are making it up as we go along. Which can be fun, if we have faith in ourselves.

Which is all well and good. But what else? Tomorrow feels like the first day of school, and I still have a case of the first day of school jitters. What helps with that? 

New shoes and school supplies.


These look like something my mother would have worn. The Boy helped me pick them out.


The grown-up version of crayons and spiral notebooks.










No comments: