Wednesday, March 24, 2021

Right v Wrong

Last weekend, the Boy was in town. He was at the condo and as we were getting ready for breakfast, he was looking at his phone. The Boy has had a phone/screen addiction in the past, so naturally I get a little triggered when I see him staring at a screen. There was an empty paper towel tube on the counter and I grabbed it and started slapping him on the butt with it.

"I just paid a crap ton of money and sent you away for two years so you wouldn't look at your phone anymore! Argh!"

He cracked up at my little deranged fit, and grabbed the paper towel tube out of my hand. "Seriously, Mom, I am okay." 

He is right. He is okay. Here I am, looking at what is wrong (him looking at his phone for five minutes before breakfast) instead of what is right:

  • He gets out of bed every day.
  • He goes to school.
  • He is getting good grades.
  • He is going to graduate from high school.
  • He is learning to cook, and he likes it.
  • He does his own laundry.
  • He has guy friends.
  • He has a girlfriend.
  • He talks to his parents.
  • He applied to college on his own (with help from a college counselor).
  • He is going to college next year, and he is excited about it.
Two years ago, I didn't see a future for him. He didn't see a future for himself. Now, he is moving forward.

For that, I am grateful.

No comments: