Tuesday, June 1, 2021

Disaster Recovery & Grown Ass Man

I got a new job about two and a half months ago working in Disaster Recovery at a large corporation. The idea is that all IT applications need a plan so that they can be recovered in case of a disaster. Maybe there is a fire, or a major power failure where the computer systems needed to run the organization are shut down. Each team needs a plan to restore their applications. The next phase of this work is Business Continuity: How do you keep your systems up and running even in the face of a disaster? How can you avoid or prevent human caused disasters? Are your servers three years past end-of-life? Then why are you shocked that they failed?

I digress.

Pedro is graduating this week and returning to Seattle this summer, as you all know. Before he could come home, Jack, Pedro and I have been doing our own Disaster Recovery and Business Continuity planning. Over winter and spring, Pedro has been planning his MAPP -- Montana Academy Post Plan (MAPP) and his Relapse Prevention Program (RPP). Likewise, as parents Jack and I have been preparing ourselves for Pedro's return. Pedro can be changed, but if we don't change as well, the whole system will fall back into its old patterns. 

Planning is easy. Disasters are messy. I discovered that this weekend. The Boy had this habit that Pedro needs to get rid of.* The Boy would not feel his feelings and then express his hostility and anger towards me. Which I hated, but didn't know how to manage with him (or Jack for that matter when he would get all rage-y.) 

The Boy's therapist recommended I preemptively write the Boy and tell him that I don't like it when he takes his unfelt feelings about the world out on me. So I did. I told the Boy I don't want to be his emotional garbage can. He needs to clean this up, not just for me, but for any future relationship he has. His significant other doesn't deserve to be his emotional punching bag, either. And anyone with a solid sense of self will not put up with it for very long. If he doesn't fix it, he will find himself alone or in toxic and unhealthy relationships. Neither is good.

A week ago, we had a call with the Boy where he was hostile and angry for about two hours. It sucked and I was exhausted. This was not productive venting where he was actually talking about what he was feeling, like "I am really frustrated when....and I want to resolve this issue." This rant was "everything sucks and everyone is stupid." As the Boy called it himself, it was an emotional dumpster fire. Recognizing the problem is the first step.

Wednesday, he called again, but he was kind and gentle and apologized for his shit mood on Sunday. 

Apologies are nice and all, but what people also want from an apology (meaning me) is that the toxic behavior stops. The apology is meaningless if the same stuff keeps occurring. Now, this is where the Boy/Pedro gets a wee bit of slack. I would like to see progress and improvement, not perfection.

This weekend, the Boy called again and was hostile. 

And I was different. I was telling/asking him about plans for his graduation week, and he got pissy. I asked him why he was hostile. He continued to rant. 

"Why are you hostile?" I asked. 

To which he replied by hanging up the phone.**

I cried for ten minutes, thinking that I might be permanently estranged from my son. Once I felt my feelings of sorrow and talked about it, I felt better. I was able to settle down and then go to sleep without ruminating about it like I used to do.

Yay! Go me! Perhaps the weekend at the ocean helped prepare me to weather the storm.

The next morning, Pedro texted and meaningful and sincere apology. He called again last night to recover and repair.

Disaster recovered. 

Finally. 

He's a grown ass man. 

Treasures from the beach.


* The concept of switching his name within a sentence is perfectly appropriate. Sometimes my son is a boy, and other times as one of my dear friends would say, "He's a grown ass man." 

** To those born before cell phones were invented, "Hanging up the phone" is a phrase where you would take the phone handset and put it back in the cradle. The little button in the cradle would then disconnect the phone. Slamming the phone down was quite cathartic. Pushing the little red dot on the phone seems so much less so.

No comments: