Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Adventure Bites

I have a friend who would make her kids trying everything she served for dinner.  They didn't have to eat a large portion, but they had to take an "adventure bite."  Our first night in Auckland, we were looking for a place for dinner.  The Boy did not want to eat in a "hole in the wall."  Small carry out places line Queen Street, and he didn't want to eat in one of those.  We found a place called Mezze, a Mediterranean tapas restaurant.  We told the Boy it was small plates, and he was reluctant until we told him that we'd order several.  He thought he would only have an appetizer for dinner.

Turns out, he loved the place.  He was up for his adventure bites.  His favorite was the shrimp baked in garlic and chili.

I think about the times I traveled when I was a kid.  Thankfully, my father was religious about taking vacations and we went someplace every year.  But I was not of the "adventure bite" crowd.  I didn't try Mexican food until I was in college, and my son is eating tapas in Auckland.  I think of this as he looks at the food with trepidation.  He is far braver than I was at the same age.

No comments: