Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Sparkle!

I should listen to the women who sell makeup at Sephora, but it is hard to seriously take the advice of a woman 20 years (or more) younger than me wearing red eye shadow.  (And I mean red.  As in stop sign red, red tape red.)

I was in the shop last week as I was out of makeup.  I am going on a trip, so I thought I'd refresh.  Every middle-aged woman in northeast Seattle had the same idea, as the place was full of women over forty on a Tuesday morning.

A year or two ago, one of the makeup artists recommended I try this new brand of base.  I was skeptical at first.  I brought it home, and it was magical.  My skin felt soft and smooth.  I went back last week to buy another tube of the same stuff.  They three colors: beige, tan and "illuminating."  Given this is winter in Seattle, I thought I'd need something to brighten my skin.  The illuminating hue was also a paler shade, which better matched my skin that seen sunlight since, oh, September.

I tried a dab on my hand, and I thought it was fine.  The sale girl took a look and said, "No, get the beige."

"But I like this one," I said.

"Really, get the beige," she said.  "The illuminating one has crushed pearls in it to help your skin glow."

Crushed pearls for glowing skin?  "Sounds good to me," I said.

"We don't have the illuminating in stock.  If you really want it, I can order it and have it shipped to you with free shipping.  If you need it now, you should get the beige..."

I thought she was trying to secure a purchase, but maybe not.  "I have time.  You can ship it to me," I said, and she did.

In the shop, I was wearing my glasses.  I have a hard time seeing things up close while I am wearing my glasses.  The little dab of makeup on my hand looked fine.

When the makeup came, I tried it on my whole face.  "Crushed pearls" is a euphemism for "glitter."  I skin sparkled, and not in a good way.  This poor woman couldn't spill the truth in the store:  "Middle aged woman shouldn't wear glitter makeup."

Before I left, I got to pick out a few samples, so I got some nail polish.  I didn't see the sales girl sigh when I picked this one out.  She must have figured I was helpless.

Nail polish for a six year old girl or hooker?  It is sad there is such a fine line between the two.  (No offense to working girls.)

No comments: