Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Shirts

Last week, I was in Pioneer Square and I visited Drygoods Design.  They had a book about how to make stuff from things found in a thrift shop, and there was a picture of a beautiful quilt made from mens dress shirts.

I could do this, I thought.  This will be good practice for when I finally make that quilt out of Claire Adele's old dresses.  I hopped over to Value Village on Lake City Way and bought the raw materials for a new project.


I was thrilled at the great shirts I found, though I had a few pangs of guilt taking such soft and barely worn shirts and chopping them up for a blanket.  I saw people there shopping for clothes, and felt bad that maybe someone might have worn one of these shirts for job interview, first date, or other life altering event.

When Jack got home from work, he saw the pile and tried a few of them on.  I didn't pick any of them for size -- only color and pattern.  Of the dozen I bought, only one fit.  I realized how specific something like clothes are in terms of style and fit, and I didn't feel so bad.  Most thrift stores in the US rotate their stock every four weeks, so these nice shirts might have been destined to become commercial rags.

No comments: