Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Hangover

Last night, my neighbor had his 50th birthday party at Salare, a hot new restaurant in Ravenna.  The owner/chef worked under Thomas Keller at The French Laundry and Per Se.  It is exceptionally cool that a guy with these credentials opened a restaurant in our part of town.

The party had hors d'oeuvres--oysters, fried smelt, cheese puffs, buckwheat pancakes with creme fraiche and caviar--and champagne when we walked in, then a five course dinner with two kinds of wine, plus dessert. The last course, lamb, was outstanding.

Over the course of four hours, I had one glass of champagne, and maybe two glasses of wine. The waitress kept filling my wine glass and there was no bottle on the table to tell how much was gone. I never really felt drunk to tipsy or hammered over the course of the evening, but today I had a hangover.

What gives? This is so unfair. All of the hangover, none of the fun.

No comments: