Friday, November 13, 2015

Paris

As we all have heard by now, there have been terrorist attacks in Paris that have killed more than 100 people. I was on my way to hear Jesse Eisenberg and Sherman Alexie speak at Seattle Central College with my daughter.  The doors to the event were opened about 45 minutes before the event started. As I looked around the room, I saw images of the Eiffel Tower and pictures of other Parisian icons on the phone screens in the room.

I looked at the White House FB page, and read the text of Obama's speech where he talked about liberte, egalite, and fraternite. I then read another comment below, asking why we don't see the same outpouring of grief when there are tragedies in other countries, like Syria or Egypt, where these events are more common.

I can't listen to NPR because I am too distressed to listen to what I call "The Daily Death Toll" they have at the top of every news show: death due to natural disasters or war or bed weather. Whatever. They list how many people died in massive amounts across the world. It makes me depressed.

And yet, then man who made the comment on the White House FB page had a point. Why did every screen in the Broadway Performance Hall have a snapshot of Paris? Why do we care so much for these people and not so much about others?

I was born a francophile. I thought France oozed sophistication and elegance along with a rich intellectual and artistic heritage. The French are cool and smart. When I was in seventh grade, I got to visit France for the first time. I remember sitting in the bus as it was driving from Brussels to Paris.  I knew that this would mark the moment of before I saw Paris, and in minutes later would be after. 

More Americans have been to Paris than to Syria or Egypt. More Americans have seen movies from France or seen scenes that take place in Paris. American history is deeply entwined with the history of France, the country that abolished its monarchy, albeit in a brutal and bloody manner. We love Paris because we know Paris, and it hurts to see something we love in trauma.

You are in our prayers, city of love, city of light. You are in our prayers.

No comments: