Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Home

Claire Adele is a junior in high school and this spring we are going on a trip "out East"--as we say here in Seattle--to visit colleges. Except for Hawaii, Alaska and the Olympic Peninsula, everything in the U.S. is east of Seattle.

Claire Adele wants to leave the state for college. This is fine. Her father and I both left our home states for college. College is a good time to explore another part of the country, even the world.

The Boy is not thrilled about this trip. This is going to be a big city, eastern seaboard trip, whereas the Boy would rather be skiing. I can't blame him. I was driving him to soccer practice today, and we talked about the trip. Was there anything special he wanted to see? His friends have traveled extensively. They might have given him some ideas on what to see and do. He shrugged and rattled off a few tourists spots.

"This is a big trip for Claire Adele," I said. "When you are going to college, we will take you around to visit places, too. We can go to Montana, Colorado and British Columbia."

"We can do a quick campus visit and then ski," he said. The Boy has a friend whose brother goes to the Montana State, which is fifteen minutes from a large skiing area. All year round, Ian is outside skiing, hiking, biking or climbing. Sounds good to me.

"We are going to help Claire Adele find her new home," I said.

He laughed. "'This looks like a lovely dumpster,'" he said in a falsetto.

I laughed, too. I laughed because if I didn't I would cry because my oldest daughter will be leaving our home in a year and a half. "We aren't going to find her a place to live, but help her look at cities where she might want to live." I remember growing up in Columbus, Ohio and lots kids when to Ohio State down the street. Other kids went to colleges in other parts of Ohio. Maybe they settled in Cincinnati or Cleveland instead of Columbus. When I graduated from college, I got a job and stayed in Chicago. It became my new home. I never lived in Columbus again.

"I am not sure Claire Adele will come back to Seattle," I said.

"Seattle it lit," said the Boy. "Who wouldn't want to live here?"

"Claire Adele," I said.

I haven't been looking forward to this trip. We were supposed to take this trip last year over Spring Break. Claire Adele wants to go to college in New York City, and I want her to visit it before she sets her heart on it. Can I see my daughter in the art and fashion capital of the US? Yes. If the Boy goes to Montana State, there is a high chance he would come back to live in Seattle. Not so much for Claire Adele. She would likely stay in New York or Washington, D.C.

She would be ready to leave for college tomorrow, but I am not ready to let her go just yet. I am worried that this year maybe the last year we live in the same town, part of the country or time zone. I am not ready to help her find her new home. I want to stay in this one.

No comments: