Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Ibuprofen

Bike Time: 10 minutes
Distance: Going too slow for bike to measure

After the surgery, I was supposed to take 600 mg of ibuprofen three times a day for the first three weeks after the surgery. Last Friday on schedule, I stopped taking it three times a day. I started biking ten minutes a day on Friday, so I decided to take one ibuprofen before I began my exercising. I didn't know how much ibuprofen helped me until I stopped taking it. Unlike Oxycodone, ibuprofen doesn't have any obvious side effects like drowsiness, a mild buzz or withdrawal. You can drive while talking ibuprofen, unlike oxycodone which is a narcotic. The long-term effects of taking ibuprofen aren't great, though. It can cause stomach problems and decrease healthy inflammation. Plus, you can't drink while taking ibuprofen on a regular basis.

Life has not been good since I limited the ibuprofen. At first, I thought my discomfort was caused by the biking, that I was now having to move in more vigorous and thoughtful ways, ways that would cause me a fair amount of discomfort. Today, I figured out the ibuprofen link when the rest of my body started to ache. My right foot was sore for no apparent reason. My right knee was giving me grief and my shoulders were complaining. I felt like I had just done some serious rock climbing, but in a race instead of at a leisurely pace. I was having a harder time sleeping because little aches would wake me up. All around, it was unpleasant.

Today, I didn't take any ibuprofen at all. I was biking at the YMCA. All of the bikes and cardio equipment are crammed into the same small room. At the university sports center, I found a bike that is off to the side, not close to other riders. I know that bike isn't invisible, but it is not in the center of all of the action. I am kind of hidden. At the Y today, two women were on the elliptical machines behind me while I was biking. I hobbled in with one crutch and then took off the brace and got on the bike. I do not look pretty or happy when I ride the bike. I am slow and cumbersome and my head and shoulders twitch like I am having mild electroshock therapy. As mentioned in a previous post, my form is horrid. 

Midway through my ride, one of the women on the elliptical finished her ride. She came up and said, "Good job! You are really working so hard! It is great you are here. Keep up the good work!" She was so sweet and kind to say that, but man, I must have looked awful. Until I look moderately graceful, I'll need to take ibuprofen before I go work out.


No comments: