Monday, September 19, 2016

"I Forgot"

Last week, I made my first trek around Green Lake since my skiing accident and surgery. I probably could have it around sooner than last week, but I was busy with the family over the summer.

I ran into two people last week--one at the YMCA and one while walking Green Lake. Holly at the Y asked how I was doing and I told her I was going to lift weights as part of my physical therapy.

"I forgot about your knee!" she said. I have been at the YMCA so many times since my accident, and Holly was one of the regular people around the front when I walked in. In the beginning of January, Holly saw me walk in on crutches and wearing a leg brace, back when I was lucky if I could ride the stationary bike for five minutes. She saw me after my surgery when I was lucky if I could turn the crank around once. I would rock my legs back and forth until I could get my legs around.

While walking around Green Lake, I ran into my friend Zoe.

"This is my first time around Green Lake since my surgery," I told her.

"I forgot about your knee," said Zoe. "Your gait is normal."

Zoe drove the Boy home from Rocket Club for a few months in the winter when I couldn't drive, and even drove when I could drive. She was one of the people who helped me out when I was down and out.

I was excited that Holly and Zoe forgot about my knee. It means I am moving forward and the end of this recovery phase is within sight.

I still remember. While my recovery is still near the front of my mind, it isn't the only thing I think about anymore. My knee doesn't need constant attention or worry. I can go a day with too much exercise (not very often) or too little (more often than is good) and I am not paying for it the next day. Even though my gait is normal, I still have exercises to do and weights to lift reminds me, even when everyone else has forgotten.

No comments: