Wednesday, September 7, 2016

More Tornados

This morning was the first day of school. School starts an hour later this year for middle and high school, and the Boy and Claire Adele were both up getting ready with plenty of time. Last year, the Boy did no grooming before school. Now, he combs and gels his hair. Last week, he got braces, and he needs more time to fully brush his teeth. God forbid he goes to school with food in his teeth. Seriously. This is a good thing. But there was a tornado in the bathroom this morning, as Claire Adele was straightening her hair and the Boy was trying to gel his. Nevermind that we have two bathrooms--there was screaming from Claire Adele. She walks to school and the Boy catches a bus. In my mind, the bus catcher gets priority over the walker, mainly because I'll have to drive the Boy to school if he missed the bus. Claire Adele doesn't have to leave as early, either. If I have to drive her to school, it is a ten minute round trip. For the Boy, it is a good half hour.

Yesterday, we had another Tornado in the afternoon. The Boy got a temper glass screen protector for his phone and it broke before he got it on. It wasn't a meltdown, but it was a Tornado. We all stopped and dropped for cover until the Tornado passed. Claire Adele stepped into the middle of the Tornado, and caused a further ruckus. Oy.

This morning was the first time since my ski accident that I have walked Fox in the morning by myself. Both kids had left, and it was just me and Fox. He brought me along some of the more secluded trails in Ravenna Woods. I was thinking about the Tornados as I walked the dog. I am also thinking about looking for a job, and I thought about the first day of school. Won't my first day back at work be like their first day at school? Stressful, but a happy occasion filled with uncertainty and excitement? Might I have a few tornados of my own before this all comes to happen?

No comments: